Saturday, November 30, 2013
|Brother Andy in a contemplative moment.|
Self-described visionary uber-artist (someone proficient in more than five media), Brother Andy, has worked as a producer, writer, director, cameraman, lighting expert, set designer, actor, makeup artist, costumer, editor and created musical scores for over twenty feature films, over three hundred short films, and dozens of music videos, plus educational films and videos.
He formed several production companies: Roadkill Productions in 1979, Full Frontal Productions 1984, and Narcissus International in 1992. His recent multi-media works are now under the Intriguism label. His most recent feature films are: "The Mummy's Desire" and "I Am...Dead" which can be viewed on youtube for free.
Brother Andy is now the Creative Director for DVdL. His responsibilities are helping with book meetings, graphic designs, videos and the blog. He has just completed a book, "Murder Most Fun: How To Start A Murder Mystery Book Club (And Live To Tell About It)".
Friday, November 29, 2013
Thursday, November 28, 2013
In 1995, the Mystery Writers of America published a list of "The Top 100 Mystery Novels Of All Time".
Here are the "Top 10" titles from their list:
- Arthur Conan Doyle: The Complete Sherlock Holmes (1887-1927)
- Dashiell Hammett: The Maltese Falcon (1930)
- Edgar Allan Poe: Tales of Mystery & Imagination (1852)
- Josephine Tey: The Daughter of Time (1951)
- Scott Turow: Presumed Innocent (1987)
- John le Carré: The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (1963)
- Wilkie Collins: The Moonstone (1868)
- Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep (1939)
- Daphne du Maurier: Rebecca (1938)
- Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None (1939)
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Book Club Etiquette
by Diane Gottsman
Be careful not to let one or two people do all the talking. It’s not uncommon in any group for stronger personalities to dominate the conversation while quieter people have little chance of getting a word in edgewise. Since the point of a book club is a group discussion, keep a few tricks up your sleeve if you have some particularly chatty members who tend to hold the floor. For example, structure the conversation by going around the table to let each member have a chance to talk about one aspect of the book that was most significant to them and lead a mini-discussion on their topic of choice. Or ask a quieter member for their opinion to get a good conversation going.
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Monday, November 25, 2013
Friday, November 22, 2013
Gallery 446 Presents: "The 4th Annual Cocoa and Candy Canes", benefiting Twenty-Nine Palm Marine Corps program "Toys for Tots" hosted by LOLA. Sunday December 1. 1 pm to 4 pm.
6. Palm Springs Desert Art Festival: November 29 through December 1. 10 am to 4 pm daily. Francis Stevens Park, Palm Springs, California. Exhibition of fine art tiles by Mike Tauber (and work by other artists). Palm Springs Desert Art Festival, 580 North Palm Canyon (at Alejo), Palm Springs, California. Free admission and free parking.
8. Melissa Morgan Fine Art Gallery: First major show of the season, "Form and Figure". Reception Saturday November 30. 5 pm to 8 pm. Two of the featured artists: David Robinson and William Catling. Melissa Morgan Fine Art Gallery, 73040 El Paseo, Palm Desert, California, 92260. 760-341-1056
9. Christian Hohmann Fine Art Gallery: Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of his art career by showcasing works by Chagall. Opening Reception Saturday November 30 through the end of the year. 7 pm to 9 pm. Christian Hohmann Fine Art, 73660 El Paseo, Suite 2, Palm Desert, California. www.christianhohmann.com 760-346-4243
Archangel Fine Art Gallery Presents: Artist Bret Philpot, "Western Eyes", featuring new paintings and structures and artist Charlie Ciali, "Wanted", featuring new encaustic and monotype works. Show continues to December 3. Archangel Gallery, 1103 North Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, California. 760-320-4795. www.archangelgallery.com
Backstreet Art District Art Walk: The first Wednesday of every month. Backstreet Art District, Palm Springs, California. 6 pm to 9 pm.
39. Charlie Ciali Studio: Workshops and instruction in print-making, monotype, and encaustic. 760-409-9496 Charliepsca@gmail.com.
40. Dragonfly Foot-Prints And Atelier in Cathedral City, California: A studio for printmakers and artists by appointment only beginning in November 2013. Large work area. No more than two artists per day at $100.00 per person, includes inks and most supplies. Private Press time also available. firstname.lastname@example.org 760-778-7973
41. Lon Michaels Fine Art Gallery: 1061 North Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, California. www.lonmichelsart.com
42. Michael Weems Fine Art Gallery: 384 North Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, California, 92262. 760-904-4930. www.michaelweems.com
43. Palm Springs Library Events: Different events during the month of November. www.palmspringslibrary.org
44. Rancho Mirage Library:
48. Artist Art Events:
49. Sunrunner Magazine Information and Calendar of Events: www.thesunrunner.com/ Copies are available at local stores and libraries.
50. Artists' Survival Guide Blog: www.artistssurvivalguide.blogspot.com/
51. Art By Lee Balan On BIGBRIDGE.org: A great nine-year-old Online Magazine featuring art, poetry and articles. Click on images to enlarge. www.bigbridge.org/BB17/art/lee_balan.htm#
Monday, November 18, 2013
These incredible black-and-white books are the absolute perfect Holiday gift and must be seen to be appreciated. A true collectible!
Please see www.agothicfable.com for details.
Sunday, November 17, 2013
My wife is following me. Again.
She never stops to ask why. So we play the game.