SUBMITTED BY ESTEEMED DOLCE VITA di LIBRO MEMBER LOIS GRAZIANO
2 eggs 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4/ teaspoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon salt 1/4 butter
1/3 cup white sugar 1/3 cup sugar for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 375 deg F. Butter and flour 12 inch madeleine mold; set aside
2. Melt butter and let cool to room temperature
3. In small mixing bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and salt at a high speed until light
4. Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in bowl when beaters are lifted, 5-10minutes.
5. Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 at a time, gently folding after each addition.
6. Add lemon zest and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into molds, it will mound slightly above tops.
7. Bake 14 to 17 minutes (I changed this to 9-11 minutes) or until cakes are golden and the tops spring back when gently pressed with your fingertip.
8. Use the tip of the knife (I just used a small rubber spatula) to loosen madeleines from pan; invert onto rack, immediately sprinkle warm cookies with sugar (I used powdered sugar). Madeleines are best eaten the day they are baked. Leftovers can be wonderful when dunked into coffee or tea.
Some reviews I thought were helpful were:
Egg mixture has to be STIFF (beat at least 10 minutes),
Grease pan with Pam and flour or sugar,
Make sure eggs are room temperature.